Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Blog That's Not As Bad As They Say



DC’s first non Superman/Batman super hero movie Green Lantern came out this weekend making a lower than expected $52 million. Most are blaming the large amount of negative reviews for keeping it from becoming a major hit. But are all these negative reviews justified?

I have only recently started reading the Green Lantern comic but I got hooked pretty quick and thus, was rather excited for the movie. Of course before the film even got released, several critics were slaughtering the movie, calling it the biggest disappointment of the summer. I for one am not a guy who let’s critics decide weather I go see a movie or not, but after 30+ reviews giving it a lousy 20% rating on rotten tomatoes, I was a little worried.

Even with those doubts, I still went the the Thursday midnight showing of Green Lantern with all the other nerds, and while I was fairly disappointed in the movie, I didn’t find it to be the worst movie ever made everyone else was saying. I almost feel that critics and fanboys views of good and bad movies leave no room for middle ground. If it isn’t The Dark Knight, then it must be Howard the Duck. Can’t a movie just be good and not great? Sure I was hoping for a little more out of a Green Lantern movie, but it could’ve been a lot worse, and it wasn’t awful enough for me to come out of the theater enraged by what I had just seen.

At the end of the day, I would love it if every movie I saw was the greatest movie I’ve ever seen, but I can’t complain too much if a movie is still entertaining when it’s less than perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Hands down my new favorite superhero. Once the job starts up I will definitely be needing to get ahold of some comics.

    Movie-wise, I agree with you that it was not spectacular, but also not shit. The $$ that was pumped in to make it visually appealing paid off, but I was disappointed with the lack of action/creativity on Hal Jordan's part. Didn't know who Sinestro was until I googled him (I admit, thought it was Hector's henchmen name.) But, when they decide to make a sequel I think there is plenty of room for improvement in these areas.

    The worst part of the movie IMO? The storyline has Hal telling his girl that he has these powers, but he's a quitter and not going to police his sector. Meanwhile, Hector is in the lab where Abin Sur had the autopsy, and is preparing to fuck his dad up, and then BAM! Here comes Hal....but why? I either missed the part where he sensed some danger, and also knew exactly where this lab was, or he is just even more of a badass than I imagined.

    ReplyDelete